” An Empty lantern provides no light, Self-care is the fuel that allows your light to shine brightly”- Unknown
If you’re a super busy gal or simply A MOM, then you tend to put yourself at the end of the list, even feeling so guilty of thinking our yourself! I mean, there’s meal prepping and laundry, chores, errands and everyday busy shenanigans! However, let us not forget the importance of giving love to ourselves…even for a minute or 2! (no excuses!! lol) Let’s ensure our basic needs are met, whether it be emotionally, mentally or physically. With doing so, we can be the best we can be and basically fuel us to do things better. (Plus, we tend to be appreciative of what we have, happy and relaxed) You don’t want to feed off your negative/stressed out energy to people around you right?
I am no expert at this mom thing(we learn as we go right?) and I used to beat myself up if I even leave the babe for a second. The guilt is real. However, I turned out to be so exhausted, grumpy and just not myself. I cannot stress further enough how important Self-care/Self love is!
HERE ARE SOME SELF CARE IDEAS. They range from a minute to an hour to even a full day. So, yeah, take your pick! Also, us mommies, kiddies and families are all different. Do what works… However, these are the ones that help me through when I need a break to reset.
Last thing, don’t forget your partners too! They need a break here and there from work and from taking care of the babe. (Thank you Daddiessss, ya’ll superheroes too!)
SELF CARE IDEAS
- 3 DEEP BREATHS
- RECITING POSITIVE AFFIRMATIONS. ( I PLACE THEM ON STICKY NOTES ALL OVER OUR HOME)
- PUT YOUR PHONE DOWN AND TAKE A BREAK FROM IT
- READ A BOOK
- LISTEN TO AN AUDIO BOOK/ YOUTUBE MOTIVATIONAL TALKS ETC.
- LIGHT A CANDLE AND PLAY RELAXING MUSIC
- GO OUTSIDE AND TAKE A WALK (OR RUN)
- TREAT YO’SELF: A MASSAGE, FACIAL, HAIR TREATMENT OR SHOPPING!
- WRITE IN A JOURNAL (EVEN FOR JUST 5 MINS)
- FULL BODY STRETCH
- MASSAGE PRESSURE POINTS
- PURGE OR CLEAN. ( i dont know what it is but I feel so great after)
- CONSCIOUSLY EATING YOUR FAVOURITE MEAL AND REALLY SAVOURING IT. NO INTERRUPTIONS OR SCROLLING THROUGH YOUR PHONE.
- GO ON A DATE NIGHT OR GIRLS NIGHT OUT OR EVEN A COFFEE DATE WITH A FRIEND
- WRITE YOUR GOALS FOR NEXT WEEK
- SING KARAOKE
- HAVE A NICE, UNINTERRUPTED SHOWER (EVEN A QUICK ONE WOULD DO!)
- DO YOUR MAKEUP ( EVEN FOR JUST 5 MINS) EYELINER? MASCARA CONCEALER AND A GORGEOUS LIPPIE WOULD DO 😉
- ENJOY A CUP OF TEA, COFFEE or A GLASS OF WINE
- BROWSE PINTEREST OR READ A BLOG POST
- HAVE A NAP
- PUT ON A FACE MASK
- LISTEN TO AN INSPIRING PODCAST
- HAVE A NUTRITIOUS SHAKE
- GIVE YOURSELF A SCALP MASSAGE OR A FACE MASSAGE
- PUT ON CLOTHES THAT MAKE YOU FEEL AWESOME
- TALK TO A FRIEND
- FIND A PLACE TO LET OFF SOME STEAM
LASTLY, IF NONE OF THESE WORK FOR YOU (I DOUBT IT!), DO SOMETHING THAT MAKES YOU HAPPY THAT IS WHAT SELF LOVE/SELF CARE IS ABOUT! IT COULD BE ANYTHING YOU LOVE TO DO!
I don’t know what I would do without the support of my family, friends and of course, the Hubby! For they allow me to have a break and give me time to re charge/ reset. This whole mom thing is very rewarding yet can sometimes be exhausting! Don’t get me wrong…I Love being a mom. It’s the greatest thing ever & wouldn’t change it for the world 🙂